Tuesday 7 February 2012

Some Utilities Make Your Life Easier

My installation of a new computer takes so much time. I always hesitate to format and install my development computer.I have many utilities that I want under my hand.

Here I'm introducing some of them;

My top utility is editplus it's actually a simple text editor but it can load large text files . When you begin to use this editor it's hard to quit. Because there are features for web developers and also it's handy when you just want a quick peek your specific codes in a large project. The evaluation period actually never ends but if you want to get rid of the registration screen here is a link for you

Number two is Microsoft Image Composer. it's a very old program. I think it was distrubuted with Frontpage 98 CD set. Then I don't know why but Microsoft stop distributing it. It's basically an image editor without layers. Photoshop is always a bit complex for me. To get quick results I prefer to use it for years.

MS Access. This is a must have one. I use this for many purposes along use as a simple database. For example I always keep an empty Access Database in my web mail. To transfer MS SQL tables it's handy to export them to access and carry those exports in mdb format.
I especially use MS Access for one specific occasion.  When I develop a multi user windows desktop application with multilanguage features. I keep language dictionaries in MS Access in clients. So I don't go to MS SQL over network for translations and don't create traffic over network.

ColorPicker is a simple one I like. Just activate it and put mouse cursour on an image to see the color codes of that pixel. If you develop a web application without any graphics support this small software can save your life.

The Snippet Editor. This small software can make you write your codes nearly two times faster if you use Visual Studio. You can download it free on MSDN Site which I linked.  You can add new snippets to visual studio and after you write 2-3 letters and pressing tab can bring lines of code.

I had developped some utilities for myself too. I have one for database - screen fields matcher. I use it when I develop database applications. I wish I can give it to you but it's completely reflects my coding characteristics. If you read my naming style. I use a slightly different way of ID naming in database tables.

I shared my Folder Watcher before.

I also have a large DLL. There are Database, communication, file system, image and many other libraries in it. Whenever I face a problem I always think if this is a one time problem or can I face again in the future. If I decide that I can face again I put the code to my DLL. So it grows day by day. But I may say I forgat how to save screen fields to database bacause I use my own functions to do this easily. I suggest you to develop this kind of library for yourself. development time can be longer in the begining but later you'll code incredibly fast. Also you will use it in other development projects. without any effort.

I also have some reporting tools which I developed to create reports in distance. This tool has commercial value, thats why I can't share it with you.

A Rich Text Editor is essential in developing ASP.NET sites isn't it. Here is the link for you. It's free and also you can download the source codes as well. http://rte.codeplex.com/



I will continue to write others in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment